Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the names of all of the Presidents of Alabama State University?
- 1868-1872: Thomas C. Steward (Served as the first principal at the Lincoln School of Marion)
- 1874-1878: George N. Card
- 1878-1915: William Burns Paterson
- 1915-1920: William Beverly
- 1920-1925: George Washington Trenholm
- 1925-1961: Harper Councill Trenholm
- 1961-1962: Robert C. Hatch (interim president)
- 1962-1981: Levi Watkins
- 1981-1983: Dr. Robert L. Randolph
- 1983-1991: Dr. Leon Howard
- 1991-1994: Dr. Clifford C. Baker
- 1994-2000: Dr. William H. Harris
- 2000-2001: Dr. Roosevelt Steptoe (interim president)
- 2001-2008: Dr. Joe A. Lee
- 2008-2012: Dr. William H. Harris
- 2012-2012: Dr. Joseph Silver
- 2012-2014: Dr. William H. Harris
- 2014-2016: Dr. Gwendolyn Boyd
- 2016-2017: Dr. Leon C. Wilson (interim president)
- 2017-Present: Dr. Quinton T. Ross Jr.
2. What were the names of the University?
- 1867-1874: Lincoln School of Marion
- 1874-1887: State Normal School and University of Marion
- 1887-1889: Alabama Colored People's University
- 1889-1928: State Normal School for Colored Students
- 1928-1946: State Teacher's College
- 1946-1954: Alabama State College for Negroes
- 1954-1969: Alabama State College
- 1969-Present: Alabama State University
3. Who were the Founders of Alabama State University?
The founders of Alabama State University were nine freed slaves:
- Alexander Curtis
- Thomas Speed
- Nicholas Dale
- James Childs
- David Harris
- Thomas Lee
- John Freeman
- Nathan Levert
- Joey P. Pinch
4. Where can I find out if my relative is an Alabama State University alumni?
You can contact the Archives Department for help with your search. You will be assisted in the use of yearbooks, catalogs, campus newspapers and other materials to help answer your questions.
You may also contact the Alabama State University Alumni Relations Office at 334 229-4280.