- Abernathy, Ralph D. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down, 1989.
- Aretha, David. Selma and the Voting Rights Act, 2008.
- Boynton, Amelia. The Bridge Across Jordan: The Story of the Struggle for Civil Rights in Selma Alabama, 1979.
- Branch, Taylor. The King Years: Historic Moments in the Civil Rights Movement,1989.
- Branch, Taylor. At Cannan’s Edge: America in the King Years, 1963-65, 1988.
- Branch, Taylor. Parting the Waters, America in the King Years, 1954-63, 1989.
- Branch, Taylor. Pillar of Fire, 1998.
- Carawan, Guy and Candie. Freedom Is a Constant Struggle: Songs of the Freedom Movement, 1968.
- Eagles, Charles W. Outside Agitator: Jon Daniels and the Civil Rights Movement in Alabama, 1993.
- Fager, Charles. Selma 1965: The March That Changed The South, 1974.
- Fairclough, Adam. To Redeem the Soul of America: The Southern Christian Leadership Conference and Martin Luther King, Jr. 1987.
- Forman, James. Sammy Younge, Jr.: The First Black Student To Die In the Black Liberation Movement, 1968.
- Freedman, Russell. Because They Marched: The People's Campaign for Voting Rights That Changed America, 2014.
- Garrow, David. Protest at Selma, 1980.
- Jeffries, Hasan Kwame. Bloody Lowndes: Civil Rights and Black Power in Alabama’s Black Belt, 2009.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches, 2003.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. Strength to Love, 2010.
- King, Martin Luther, Jr. Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community? 2010.
- Lafayette, Bernard. In Peace and Freedom, 2013.
- Leacock, Elspeth, Susan Buckley, Lynda B. Lowery. Turning 15 on the Road to Freedom: My Story of the Selma Voting Rights, 2015.
- Lewis, Andrew B. The Shadows of Youth: The Remarkable Journey of the Civil Rights Generation, 2010.
- McCarty, Clinton. The Reins of Power: Racial Change and Challenge in a Southern County, Wilcox, 1999.
- Vaughn, Craig. The Selma Campaign: Martin Luther King Jr., Jimmie Lee Jackson, and the Defining Struggle of the Civil Rights, 2014.
- Vaughn, Wally G. The Selma Campaign, 1963-1965: The Decisive Battle of the Civil Rights Movement, 2006.
- A Newly Discovered Speech of Martin Luther King Jr. Provides Sustenance to Defenders of Affirmative Action in Higher Education
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 41 (Autumn, 2003), p. 29.
- AFRICAN-AMERICAN LEADERSHIP AND MASS MOBILIZATION
The Black Scholar, Vol. 24, No. 4, BLACK POPULAR MOVEMENTS (Fall 1994), pp. 2-7.
- Black Scholar Interview with Hank Sanders: DEFENDING VOTING RIGHTS IN THE ALABAMA BLACK BELT
Hank Sanders, Frances M. Beal
The Black Scholar, Vol. 17, No. 3, BLACKS AND THE LAW (May/June 1986), pp. 25-34.
- Civil Rights in Twilight: The End of the Civil Rights Movement Era in 1973
Christopher Paul Lehman
Journal of Black Studies, Vol. 36, No. 3 (Jan., 2006), pp. 415-428.
- Congressman John Lewis: An American Saint
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 21 (Autumn, 1998), pp. 42-43.
- Martin Luther King, Jr. and the Paradox of Nonviolent Direct Action
James A. Colaiaco
Phylon (1960- ), Vol. 47, No. 1 (1st Qtr., 1986), pp. 16-28.
- Selma 1965: The Black March Into a Sea of Blue
John E. Yang
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 12 (Summer, 1996), p. 83.
- SNCC, Black Power, and Independent Political Party Organizing in Alabama, 1964-1966
Hasan Kwame Jeffries
The Journal of African American History, Vol. 91, No 2 (Spring, 2006). pp. 171-193.
- Reading the Tea Leaves: Can We Count on Drew Faust to Be a Good Friend of Black Higher Education?
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 55 (Spring, 2007), pp. 10-11.
- The Black Press in The "New South": Jesse C. Duke's Struggle for Justice and Equality
Allen W. Jones
The Journal of Negro History, Vol. 64, No. 3 (Summer, 1979), pp. 215-228.
- The Federal Assault Against Voting Discrimination in the Deep South 1957-1967
The Journal of Negro History, Vol. 54, No. 4 (Oct., 1969), pp. 346-367.
- “THE LION OF ZION”: LEON H. SULLIVAN AND THE PURSUIT OF SOCIAL AND ECONOMIC JUSTICE: INTRODUCTION
V. P. Franklin
The Journal of African American History, Vol. 96, No. 1 (Winter 2011), pp. 39-43.
- The Post-Selma Summit: George Wallace Meets His Match in Lyndon Johnson
The Journal of Blacks in Higher Education, No. 11 (Spring, 1996), p. 127.
- The Significance of the N.A.A.C.P. and its Impact in the 1960s
Gloster B. Current
The Black Scholar, Vol. 19, No. 1
Civil Rights in the Second Renaissance, 1944-1970,
(January/February 1988), pp. 9-18.
- The Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee: Rise and Fall of a Redemptive Organization
Journal of Black Studies, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Sep., 1977), pp. 13-34.
- Alabama Journal
- Birmingham World
- Forward Times
- Journal & Guide
- Michigan Chronicle
- Montgomery Advertiser
- Muslim Journal
- New York Amsterdam News
- Selma Times Journal
- St. Louis Argus
- The Afro American
- The Call
- The Call & Post
- The Chicago Defender
- The Gary Crusader
- The Louisville Defender
- The New Republic
- The New York Times
Alabama State University Voting Rights Archival Collections
- The Rev. Ralph Abernathy Collection
- The Rev. Richard Boone Collection
- Centennial Hill Collection
- Dorothy Frazier Collection
- Herman Harris Collection
- John Jones Collection
- John Knight Collection
- Viola Liuzzo Collection
- Nelson Malden Collection
- Thad McClammy Collection
- Montgomery Improvement Association (MIA) Collection
- Gwen Patton Collection
- Solomon Seay, Jr. Collection
Voting Rights Oral Histories at Alabama State University
- Dr. John H. Jones [videorecording]
- Interview with Barbara Ann Howard [soundrecording]
- Interview with Dr. Gwendolyn Patton [sound recording]
- Interview with Gladys William [sound recording]
- Interview with Idessa Redden [sound recording]
- Interview with Nelson Malden [sound recording]
- Interview with Princella Howard Dixon [sound recording]
- Interview with Valda Harris Montgomery [sound recording]
- Interview with Wilhelmina Howard Harris [sound recording]
- Interview with Zecozy Williams [sound recording]
- Interview with Ex-Gov. John Patterson
- Interview with Alvin Holmes
- Interview with E. D. Nixon
- Interview with Fred Gray
- Interview with Rufus Lewis and Eugene Ligon
- Interview with Wendell Paris
- Citizen King (PBS, 2004)
- Eyes on the Prize – America’s Civil Rights Movement 1954-1985
- In Remembrance of Martin, 1986
- Roads to Memphis, The Assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. (2010)
- Selma, Lord, Selma (1999)
- Sisters of Selma, Bearing Witness for Change (2007)