Recipients of the: Legacy Award in Music Education
Dr. Thomas E. Lyle
Dr. Thomas E. Lyle, with a musical concentration on the Clarinet, came to Alabama State University in 1964 where he began a phenomenal record as Director of Bands. He developed a 175 piece Marching Band and an eighty piece symphonic band that became nationally acclaimed. Dr. Lyle also initiated the Summer Band Camp at Alabama State University. Dr. Lyle was also chosen as "College Bandmaster of the Year" for several years.
Dr. Lyle has been initiated into the Alabama Band Director's Association, as well as, the chapters of Kappa Kappa Psi and Tau Beta Sigma Honorary Band Fraternity and Sorority at Alabama State University. In 2010, Dr. Lyle cut the ribbon at the Thomas E. Lyle Band Center, an annex to the Cordell Wynn Humanities and Fine Arts Center. The Thomas E. Lyle Band Center houses the marching and concert bands at Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.
Upcoming and Recent Programs
March 6 - August 28
50th Anniversary Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights March: A Celebration of Freedom and Democracy
A juried exhibition from members of the National Alliance Of Artists from Historically Black Colleges And Universities (NAAHBCU)
March 22, 2015 | 3 ‐ 5 p.m.
1345 Carter Hill Road
Exhibit runs March 6 - August 28 (Excluding Holidays)
For more information, call 334-229-4824 or 334-229-4106.
- Remembering civil rights activist Medgar Evers
- New president brings sense of urgency to Morehouse
- Jeannie Graetz Literacy Program
- Inscription On Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial To Be Removed
- King's Forgotten Manifesto
- Harlem churches see gospel tourist boom on Sundays
- A Plot of Land, a Path to Freedom
- Tourism tax, like all taxes, should have a sunset
- Alabama Voices: Cemeteries help keep history alive