Recipients of the: Legacy Award in Music Education
Dr. James B. Oliver
Dr. James B. Oliver is the director of bands at Alabama State University (ASU). He is a strong advocate for music programs, and is in the midst of a twenty-eight-year career in music education. His positions include band instructor in the Dayton, Ohio Public School System as well as director of bands at Central State University in Wilberforce, Ohio. Oliver holds a Bachelor's in music education from ASU, a master's in education from Wright State University, and a doctorate in education.
Since his arrival at ASU in 2000, Oliver has built a solid band program which includes the Mighty Marching Hornets, the Alabama State University Concert Band as well as a Pep Band. Under his leadership, the program has garnered countless competitive awards including Outstanding Symphonic Band Award, Outstanding Jazz Band Award, City of Montgomery Certificate of Recognition, and the 2006 Distinguished Alumni Award given by National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education.
The ASU band has performed around the country, including appearances at the Honda Battle of the Bands Invitational, the Georgia Dome, and most recently on the Ellen Degeneres Show.
Upcoming and Recent Programs
A Visual Interpretation of African-Americans’ Struggle for Recognition as Human Beings and First-Class Citizens
Commissioned by The National Center for the Study of Civil Rights and African-American Culture at Alabama State University
- Remembering civil rights activist Medgar Evers
- New president brings sense of urgency to Morehouse
- Jeannie Graetz Literacy Program
- Inscription On Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial To Be Removed
- King's Forgotten Manifesto
- Harlem churches see gospel tourist boom on Sundays
- A Plot of Land, a Path to Freedom
- Tourism tax, like all taxes, should have a sunset
- Alabama Voices: Cemeteries help keep history alive